Wednesday, November 30, 2011

hello ruby in the dust

i am sitting right now, listening to neil young pandora radio, watching 5 people standing around a counter, cooking. they are cooking a mexican meal that they so gracefully offered to share with me.
it hit me the other day that the weeks that have fed me the most here have been my trip to waimanu, and my recent love affair with hilo, in which i spent a week with my insta-best-friend kate, running, cooking, going to yoga, and having amazing conversations, only to be joined with long-time-best-friend heidi for birthday adventures, and lots of laughs, tears, and wine. 
coming back kona side and realizing i was going to spend a week alone brought up the question... why am i here? living outside of community, spending loads of time by myself, not making money... you know the drill and the persistance of those thoughts in my mind.  the grass seems to always be greener huh? well in relation to my recent realization of what feeds me, abundance came knocking at my door again, and i got a call from the local lettuce farm in town.  kealaola farms (i think there might be an apostrophe in there somewhere); they need help.
YAY! eruption of joy in the opportunity to work, have my own space (a tent that i can stand up in, set up my altar, and have all my clothes in that overlooks the pacific and colorful fields of lettuce), and live in community.  this is exactly what i need for the last month of my stay here in hawaii.  some grounding.  i keep talking about how i feel like i have been able to come to center within myself, but i am lacking grounding in the real physical world.  the farm was completely willing to work around my schedule for the marathon, and open to me coming for as long as i wanted or needed, so i obviously could not refuse.
  -(one my favorite neil young songs just came on-cowgirl in the sand.. yes.)-
so here i am... as i said sitting in a large wearhouse, with a kitchen and a group of smiling faces, tent all set up, 7th harry potter already broken into, listening to cowgirl in the sand, and grateful.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this! My boyfriend and I have been researching WWOOFing opportunities all around the world, especially Hawaii. Keala'ola farms is at the top of our list of places we'd love to go because of all the consistently positive feedback we've heard.

    ReplyDelete